The most recent FluView report for the 2014-2015 flu season shows that flu season is beginning in the United States. There are already reports of flu illness, as well as flu related hospitalizations and deaths. Flu activity is expected to increase in the coming weeks.
What is influenza (also called flu)?
- The flu is a contagious respiratory illness caused by influenza viruses that infect the nose, throat, and lungs.
- It can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death.
- The best way to prevent the flu is by getting a flu vaccine each year.
- Frequent hand washing has also shown to be an effective deterrent to the spread of the flu virus.
Below you will find the website link from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention that provides information about the flu.
For seniors applying to colleges with late application deadlines, rolling deadlines, or other nontraditional admission processes, the January SAT® may be their best opportunity to improve and send scores.
Here are three reasons for seniors to register today:
||The SAT is a great way for students to show colleges across the country what they know and what they can do.
||The SAT connects students to college planning resources, scholarships, and more.
||We have lots of free and affordable practice tools to help them get ready, including our new Official SAT Question of the Day™ mobile app.
Encourage your seniors to show colleges their best with the SAT.
Deadline: December 29, 2014
The CHS Theatre Department is hosting their very first student directed play to be performed here at CHS.
Please support this groundbreaking student led project by donating to the production at http://www.gofundme.com/chstherealm.
Each year since 1964, the National Rural Electric Washington Youth Tour has been a means for high school students to visit Washington, D.C., interact with their peers from around the country, learn about Cooperatives, and meet their Congressmen and Senators. This year, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative (REC) will select 7 juniors for the FREE June 14 – 18 trip. In addition, REC will award a $500 scholarship to one student based upon their participation during Youth Tour.
Youth Tour participants are selected based upon their scholastic studies, recommendations, extracurricular activities and interest in government, rural affairs and cooperatives. Completed applications must be received by REC no later than March 9, 2015. All applicants must meet the following criteria.
- Students should be enrolled in the 11th grade during the 2014 – 2015 school year
- Applicants whose parents or guardians are members of REC will be given primary consideration for selection
Youth Tour is a highly entertaining and educational opportunity for students.
Applications Are Available On-line at:
REC Washington Youth Tour
For more information visit Youth Tour.coop
Contact: Brian Wolfe, REC’s public relations specialist
800.552.3904, ext. 5914 / firstname.lastname@example.org
The Bank of America Charitable Foundation’s Student Leaders® Program is accepting applications for the 2015.
Since its inception in 2005, the Bank of America Student Leaders Program has recognized more than 2,000 exemplary high school juniors and seniors who have a passion for improving their communities. The program helps students gain a greater understanding of how nonprofits create impact in the community and helps develop them as the next generation of community leaders through these components:
- A summer eight-week paid internship with a nonprofit organization selected by the bank. This internship is designed to provide opportunities for the students to develop and apply leadership skills through hands-on work experience, while raising their awareness of community issues addressed by their Host Organization.
- The week-long, all-expense paid Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. from July 12-17, 2015. Conducted in partnership with the Close Up Foundation
- Summit introduces students to aspects of civic, social and business leadership and provides them with knowledge and skills they will use throughout their life to create positive community change.
Students can apply for the program by going to www.bankofamerica.com/studentleaders.
Please note the application is now open and the deadline to submit is January 31, 2015.
For more information on the Bank of America Charitable Foundation, please visitwww.bankofamerica.com/foundation